Taco Tuesdays have become a weekly tradition for my boyfriend and I, but I have to admit that over the months, it has become a challenge to keep it interesting and felt a bit like I was in a taco slump. This week I decided to put together a special summer shrimp taco. I wanted this taco to be fresh with a bit of crunch, but I also really wanted to add a creamy element to compliment the shrimp. However my boyfriend is lactose intolerant so I’ve always had to shy away from any form of cheese in our tacos, but I always felt like something was missing…
Let’s face it, tacos need cheese! And so do I! We’ve used cabbage in our tacos before but grilled cabbage tastes too bitter and what I really wanted was some creamy coleslaw. I picked up some coconut yogurt and combined it with homemade cilantro pesto to give it some kick. I also wanted the feeling of sprinkling some cheese on top so I tried making some cashew cheese using nutritional yeast and it turned out great! I find it so amazing how these ingredients can be manipulated to taste like dairy. My tacos will be deprived of cheese no more!
My summer shrimp taco masterpiece is a fresh corn tortilla filled with creamy guacamole and cilantro coconut coleslaw, topped with pan fried spicy shrimp, homemade peach salsa, garlicky cilantro pesto and the cashew cheese. I love how this taco turned out, Taco Tuesdays have been elevated to a new level of awesome!
Creamy Dairy Free Shrimp Taco
Creamy Dairy Free Shrimp Tacos
This summer shrimp taco masterpiece features an authentic corn tortilla filled with fresh guacamole and creamy coconut coleslaw, topped with pan fried spicy shrimp, homemade sweet peach salsa, garlicky cilantro pesto and crumbly cashew cheese.
- Marinade thawed shrimp in the juice of one lime, a tablespoon of olive oil and the taco seasoning. Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- For the guacamole, combine the avocados with tomato, garlic cloves, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and place in a small serving bowl.
- To make the cilantro pesto, use a hand blender or a Magic Bullet and blend cilantro, green onion, olive oil, lime and garlic clove. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl combine the coleslaw with half the cilantro sauce and the coconut yogurt. Place remaining cilantro sauce in a small serving bowl.
- Using a Magic Bullet or food processor, combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar and garlic powder. Add one tablespoon of filtered water or just enough to bind the ingredients into small "cheese-like" pieces. Season with salt and pepper and place in a small serving bowl.
- Heat the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook the shrimp for three minutes, tossing halfway through. Pour remaining marinate over top for the last minute. Remove from heat.
- Wrap place corn tortillas on a microwaveable plate and wrap tightly with cling wrap. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Place a dollop of guacamole on the warm corn tortilla. Top with coconut cilantro coleslaw, 3-4 shrimp, a spoonful of salsa, a drizzle with some cilantro sauce and hot sauce and sprinkle some cashew cheese over top.
There are many ways to change up these tacos! One of my favourites is to swap the coleslaw for some leafy greens (beet greens, swiss chard, spinach and kale). The creamy cilantro pesto and coconut yogurt is a winning flavour!
I also like to add grilled peppers if I'm not using coleslaw, to give a bit of crunch.
Finally, if I'm using tomato salsa instead of peach or mango, then I will remove the tomato from the guacamole, gotta balance out that tomato!
Copyright 2017 by PT Potts. All rights reserved.
I’m so curious as to what other substitutes can be used for cheese, leave a comment below if you have a great dairy free idea!