Homemade Quinoa Granola. Bowl by Clayshapes on etsy.
I’ve come to realize that I often end up baking at midnight. There must be something about the witching hour that awakens my inner creative beast and unleashes the baker and writer within. Some people take a bath or read before bedtime, I bake cookies or reach for a notepad. This would also explain why I cannot for the life of me wake up before 8am in the morning! In any case, here is the first in a series of recipes by yours truly: The Midnight Baker.
I always knew that homemade granola was easy and tasty, but I just never gotten around to making it, until last night. When the clock struck midnight I felt the time was right to whip up a healthy batch. I’m obsessed with peanuts, so I threw those in and and I added quinoa for some crunch inspired by Jillian Michaels’ Quinoa Crunch. I’m hooked on this snack now though, so I’m sure there will be many more late night variations to come!
The Midnight Baker: Homemade Quinoa Granola with Apple, Almonds & Peanuts
- 2 cups wheat free rolled oats
- 1 apple, dried/dehydrated and finely cubed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded sweet coconut
- 1/4 cup dry organic quinoa
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey, just melted (2o seconds in the microwave)
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple extract
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut oil, honey, apple butter, maple extract, quinoa and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto two stick free baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color. Check at 1 hour mark.
- Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add dried apple and mix until evenly distributed. Cool and serve over Greek Yogurt with a swirl of raw honey or with unsweetened almond milk. Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a month.
Copyright 2017 by PT Potts. All rights reserved.
If You Liked This Post...